Translate

My Crafty & Talented Friends

Friday, August 24, 2012

Altered Dominoes - First Attempt

Good afternoon my crafty friends!  Hope your all geared up for the weekend...I know I am.  I am thinking however my weekend will include a doctor visit somewhere since I am getting only worse and not better with this stupid cold and cough.  I mentioned in my last post that I have the craft fair at Lake Waynoka on Saturday October 13th...well I wanted something new and different to sell up there this year along with my other things.  

Altered Dominoes
I came across a book that I have and it had some dominoes that were altered into make some desk items such as a pen holder/notepad holder/etc.  I knew that I had some new dominoes that I don't think I ever used:

Yea, I have lots here lol!
So I went over to this website and she explained everything in such great detail & has wonderful pictures of it all on how to alter dominoes.  Check it out its a wonderful site.  So I tried all these today and the only supplies I needed were:



And stamps...
So here are the final results:

This one I used butterscotch and wild plum alcohol inks and used the dabber with the felt piece to apply it.  I then used the ink with a couple different clear butterfly stamps


This one I think I used just about all the alcohol inks I own, lol.  This was the very first one I did and it came out looking very vintage I think.  The stamp used is the music sheet
This next one I didn't use the dabber and felt to apply the alcohol inks, instead I thought what if I just used an old rag and swipe it on there...I really like how they look.  The thing I have to work on is the stamping on the dominoes since it is a slick, non-porous surface its a little different and I am sure that with practice that will only improve.
 The last one I am showing you is also using a rag but not a swiping motion, rather a blotting motion to apply the alcohol inks

I am so tickled that these were my first attempts and they turned out rather nice in my opinion.  I need to get some smaller stamps that will fit nicely on the dominoes.  I want to try to color them, chalk them & use all the different techniques mentioned on that site.  
I plan to make some of the altered ones into magnets, key chains, necklaces, charms & who knows what else.  If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Well I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and that all the kiddos returned safely to school this week...It's rather quite around my place now since I live in an apartment and lots of kids live around me.  

Thank you all for stopping by, take care & be crafty this weekend!!!
Photobucket

3 comments:

samantha messer said...

These are so beautiful! What a good idea.

Patti J said...

Cute as can be, Christy! Thanks for sharing :)

ike said...

Fabulous Christy - I love the results. Excellent first job. :-) I've never tried this myself. Next you'll be making them into those little fold out books :-D xxxx

Post a Comment

All of your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Smiles!
Christy