Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Charity From The Heart...Would You Like To Be Involved? I Hope So!

Hi everyone,

I am writing today to tell you about two charities that I belong to.  I am responsible for the charity portion of the Yahoo! group PBS_Swappers and while we mainly discuss crafting and have challenges and swaps, we also wanted to do more in the way of charity work. 

The first charity I would like to tell you about is Operation Write Home {OWH}.  OWH is a non-profit organization that helps our men and women in uniform serving around the world.  What they do is send the troops handmade greeting cards which are blank on the inside so that the soldiers can in turn write their own personal messages to their families and loved ones back home.  What we at PBS_Swappers are doing is helping to supply some of these handmade greetings.  While having our group do this is wonderful, I thought I would extend the invitation to you all and ask if you would be interested and willing to get involved with helping OWH out as well.  I am going to give you a link as to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in the handmade greetings sent to our troops.  Mainly it is all about NOT USING GLITTER.  What I am currently doing is mailing out quarterly to my contact Dixie in North Carolina.  The next time I will mail out will be towards the end of September. So this gives us all plenty of time to get those cards in.  Christmas cards will be needed in vast amounts as the holiday season approaches us.  Dixie also informed me that while Birthday cards, Thinking of You cards, and other general greetings are important and needed, what she is lacking is cards for the men in the lives of our soldiers: husbands, fathers, brothers, etc..  Also she stated that there is a need for cards for the children in their lives as well.

Another charity we are involved in is called Amy's Angels.  This group sends out handmade greetings to those who suffer with cancer as well as to their care-givers.  Again, we at PBS_Swappers are helping out by sending handmade greetings.  These cards are also to remain blank inside as they are requested by others and those at Amy's Angels fill them in per each request.  However a sentiment such as "Thinking of You", "Get Well", or something appropriate like that can be placed on the front of the card; or you can leave off a sentiment and just create a beautiful card front.  Also my contact their stated she would like to have our "Hallmark" signature on the back of the cards, such as "designed by", or "created by"...you know what I mean.

I have been up all night {yes again} looking into some other charities as well.  I am currently awaiting their response to let me know if and how we can help out.  I will share this information with you all as soon as I know anything.

If you are at all interested in sending a card(s) to help out these charities, please contact me via email  and I will give you my mailing address so you can send them onto me.  Anything and everything helps out those in need.  The three charities that I contacted this evening {or rather in the middle of the night}, all are dealing with children who are either ill, homeless, or just need a friendly card every now and then due to one reason or another.  I do hope that when I get information from them, that you will be interested in helping out those as well.

The PBS_Swappers and myself are not receiving anything in return for our assistance to these groups, I want to make that clear to you all.  If we are receiving anything at all, it is knowing that we are making a difference to someone else in a non-selfish way.  Perhaps that in itself is selfish, but I know from personal experience that helping someone else, whether in person or anonymously it feels great!  I want you to have this same great feeling!

I would also like to take this opportunity to invite you to join the group PBS_Swappers on Yahoo.  We are a fun, creative, and most importantly, a caring group of women who are based here in the United States.  We would love to have you join us.  The founder of the group is Sherry and you will find she is a very talented and a great friend to have.  So please come and take a look around and join us.

So again, please won't you consider helping out in this journey we have ventured on to brighten the day of someone who is in a less fortunate place than us right now. 

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and from all those who will benefit from your kindness.

Blogger Templates

Blogger Templates

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Christy, I have you all linked for the Rooster Party. Thank you for joining us. I hope you have a wonderful time.

See you on Friday or before :-)

Barb ♥

Rachel Renee said...

Hi Christy,
What a great idea! I haven't heard of anything like this before. I don't do papercrafting, but I paint (although I am still learning some of it). I haven't actually made cards yet, but I would be willing to give it a try. I'll let you know if they come out nice enough to send! :) This will give me a little push to actually practice more!

One thing I have done with painting (which I should write about on my blog) is with sending letters to persecuted Christians. There are organizations that allow you to print out letters to persecuted Christians in their own language. I have painted the letters with flowers to brighten the life of someone in a dark, colorless prison. So it shouldn't be too hard to make cards...

God bless you for your work! It's great to see people going beyond themselves to share God's love with those around them! Have a wonderful day!

~Renee

P.S. I'm glad to hear you like Skillet, too! We're big fans here! :)

Post a Comment

All of your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Smiles!
Christy