Translate

My Crafty & Talented Friends

Friday, August 10, 2012

Altered Halloween Jars Using Gesso, Paint, Cricut & Vinyl



Hello everyone!  Well the weekend is finally here ...

I've been working today on creating some altered Halloween jars for a gift swap on SCS.  Now I am not completely finished with them, but I am about 90% there.  So I will share with you what I have done thus far.

Altered Halloween Jars with Vinyl
I used the small plastic storage jars from Recollections, they are 6oz. 

Before I painted or did anything with the jars I removed all the lids and put some scotch tape around the seal so that paint wouldn't get on it and ruin the screw top.

I wanted to make sure that the paint I used would not peel off shortly after I applied it.  I used Gesso as a base coat on all the jars just to ensure this. 
After the Gesso dried I painted all with a Metallic Black acrylic paint.  I used two coats.
I then set them aside and  got out three of my Cricut cartridges: Mini Monsters, Chic & Scary and A Frightful Affair


I picked a spiders web with spider, a banshee, witches hat & a pumpkin to cut out on vinyl
Here are the images after applying them to the jars.  There is a different image on each side of the jars.
I coated each one with Minwax Polycrylic Clear Gloss
They are drying now and I want to add one more coat but I will have to wait until much later to do that.  So here they are so far
You can also see that on the witches hat I added a strip of gold there to give it a little something extra.  I used my Krylon 18kt. Gold Leafing Pen.  I added the strip BEFORE I used the clear gloss coat.

***Click on THIS LINK to go to my post of the completed Altered Halloween Jars***

The only thing left to do is the lids & second coat of polycrylic and they will be finished.  I will show you tomorrow what they look like when completed.

I hope you like these!  Take care and thank you again for stopping by!







2 comments:

Haunted House said...

Haunted house
http://bestforhalloween.com
Horror and Halloween Link Directory. Add your site for free. Horror authors, Halloween props, Halloween sound, Halloween costumes, Haunted houses, all horror related sites are welcome to join.Scary House

Kristina said...

Christy,
These are really cool looking! Great idea, and you have done a wonderful job!
Peace,
KristyLee

Post a Comment

All of your comments mean so much to me! Thank you for taking the time to do so.

Smiles!
Christy